Starbreeze Studios is currently looking for a Lead Level Designer who will be leading and supervising the Level Design team across multiple projects in a day-to-day operation of planning and designing levels including creating level layouts, mission scripting, enemy encounters and integration of other level elements.
You will collaborate with other department leads, directors and producers to ensure that the overall game vision is represented in the game levels. You will establish, maintain and evolve level design processes, documentation and tools for the projects and be involved in all steps of creating a level.
You will work with the PAYDAY franchise, requiring from you an additional level of understanding of how systems integrate into your levels and randomized elements generate a variety of game experiences in the same level.
You would be welcomed to an open, enthusiastic environment where you’ll find opportunities to shape the games we make, mentor Level Designer’s and collaborate with a passionate team on one of the most popular co-op action franchises in the game industry.
If you share our passion for cooperative first-person shooters, our Level Design team is the perfect place for you!
Collaborate with the Design Director to communicate and translate the game vision into the level design together with your team.
- Guide the Level Designers’ in creating levels where gameplay flow, mission objectives and events form dynamic experiences.
- Work closely with the Producer and the Design Director to plan and prioritize the Level Design team’s work.
- Work with other Leads and disciplines when the work within your field affects the area they’re working on.
- Work with the Level Design team through all stages of development to own and implement levels and gameplay features that improve content and quality of the game experience.
- Review levels based on priorities and feedback and facilitate continuous improvements of these.
- Lead the creation of thorough documentation and play an active part in the development and iteration of pipelines and processes.
- Be the main point of contact of the other departments regarding Level Design issues and work together with other departments
- Mentor the Level Design team and carry out performance follow-ups, manage and resolve any situation arising within the team that would delay production objectives.
- Lead the recruitment of new Level Design candidates.
- Participate and contribute to an approachable and open-minded culture
Relevant degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 1 to 2 shipped “AAA” titles.
- 5 years plus in game industry as Senior Level Designer or Lead.
- Expert knowledge of Unreal Engine 4.
- Excellent knowledge of level design fundamentals and the role of level design in the overall experience
- Possess a strong knowledge of game production pipelines.
- Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team (both internally and externally) while always keeping the overall vision of the game in mind
- Excellent written and verbal communication, documentation skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts
- Ability to review and feedback on teams work in a constructive manner
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced live operations development environment
Valuable additional skills:
Working experience with cooperative first-person shooters
- Degree or experience in art, interior or industrial Design
- Writing/ narrative experience
- Passion for games on all existing formats: board games, card games, sports, paper RPGs, gambling, all genres of videogames with special focus on FPS and competitive games.
Still reading? Great, because here comes the good part: We offer you a position at a company where we value empowerment, agility and ownership. While we evolve we want you to grow with us and to develop as a professional.
Sounds good? Then we can’t wait to see your resume and meet you! We recommend that you apply as soon as possible, as interviews are held continuously. Send your application with a resume and portfolio in English. All applications must include a portfolio to be considered.