Are you a skilled leader with passion for animation and gaming? Then this might just be the job for you! Starbreeze is now looking for a talented Animation Director/Lead Animator to join our team in Stockholm.
In this role, you will not only be responsible for creating solid animations, both in-game and in cinematics, but you will have the essential role of leading, managing and inspiring your team to success. You lead by setting an example in terms of animation quality but also in the understanding of gameplay, storytelling and overall character movement. Ultimately, you will enable your team to polish and finalize animations while ensuring their implementation into the game.
Additionally, you will manage a team of talented individuals and offer experienced guidance, conduct performance reviews, salary reviews, and generally facilitate the optimal work environment for your team.
Collaborate closely with the leads from the Art, Engineering and Design teams to
establish the aesthetic look and feel of animations going into the given game. This is
done through defining animation styles, producing pre-visualizations and concept ideas while presenting them to the team.
Effectively communicate the art and design direction to the animators.
Oversee the work of the animators daily while leading the iteration process and giving feedback on all areas of animation.
Lead by example and create compelling character performances, be it gameplay or cinematic animations, utilizing both keyframed and motion capture techniques.
- Understand game-required techniques such as blending, tagging, state machine transitions, animation blending trees, compression, etc. while also participating in the improvements of these techniques.
- Ensure on-time delivery for all deliverables, working closely with the project managers for all planning aspects.
- Work with the Producers, Department Leads and Animation team to establish methods to improve the production pipeline, tools and systems that will benefit the integrity of the animation for the studio.
- Manage the career growth and development of direct reports.
Evaluate team members’ goals and objectives, ensuring both personal growth as well as alignment with department and company objectives.
- Assist the studio leadership in staffing, hiring, and onboarding processes.
Expected to lead, advise, and mentor any level of Animators.
You have experience working with animations in the game industry with at least two shipped AAA titles. You are an experienced Maya and possibly Motion Builder user and have an expert understanding of all animation principles. Experience and knowledge of the Unreal game engine is an advantage as is previous lead experience. You must be fluent in English, both verbally and in writing.
To be successful in this position you have/are:
Experience in a previous senior role (Director/Lead) on first- or third-person AAA games.
A proven record of multiple shipped titles in an animation team.
A strong understanding of quick and efficient iteration techniques that respect the gameplay requirements while displaying high quality.
The ability to lead, collaborate, communicate and work professionally with other
animators and directors.
Excellent communication skills that allow you to work efficiently with other disciplines and departments.
Contributed and been part of a highly creative team, used to giving and receiving feedback.
A solid understanding of game asset creation pipelines and ability to learn and master new tools, processes, and pipelines.
An ability to work closely with project managers to develop schedules and keep these schedules.
- A familiarity and excitement for games and game development.
Still reading? Good...because here’s the good part of this job ad: We offer you a position at a company where we value teamwork, accountability and creativity. While we evolve we want you to grow with us and to develop as a professional. We also believe in having fun. We have game consoles and arrange after-work activities along with annual parties and events.
What more do we offer?
- Competitive salaries with yearly reviews
- Yearly wellness benefit
- Referral bonuses
- 6 weeks paid vacation per year
- Pension on top of salary, ≈50% above collective agreement standard
- 90% of your salary will be covered while on Parental leave for up to 6 months
- Relocation support if you move from abroad
- Ideal office location in central Stockholm
Sounds good? Then we can’t wait to see your CV and portfolio and look forward to meeting you. We recommend that you apply as soon as possible as selection and interviews are held continuously. Send your application with a resumé, portfolio and cover letter in English. All applications must include a portfolio and resumé to be considered.
At Starbreeze we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome you as who you are, no matter where you are from or what games you play.